Are you ready parents? Summertime is here, and London is all set with activities for kids like no other. Thinking about where to go and what to do? There are loads of things to do in London in the summer holidays with kids.. Go wild and hit the city farms; visit museums, run in the park, attend the numerous festivals, or try out go ape activities that will get your blood pumping. You have until September to enjoy the fun. Here are some of the best things to do in London with kids.
Awesome Sunny Day things to do in London in the summer holidays
Outdoor swimming activities
London’s hot in the summer. Literally! The good news is there are lots of outdoor swimming pools in London where you can just relax, run away from the heat, and keep the kids entertained. Choose the best pools and get ready for some splashy fun. Here are our top picks:
- Hampstead Heath Swimming Ponds: beautiful natural pond in Hampstead Heath, where you can just relax and unwind surrounded by sheer vegetation
- Oasis Sports Centre: amazing outdoor pool located in Covent Garden, with a sunbathing terrace on site where you’ll get the perfect tan
- Tooting Bec Lido: once a bathing lake, this vast pool in South London is the perfect family retreat.
- Serpentine Lido: if you want to take kids, make sure to check the gated family area; it has swings and sandpit that kids will find very entertaining.
- Charlton Lido: a more luxurious type of outdoor pool, renovated in 2013. It has a gym, a cafe, and even a fitness studio.
- Finchley Lido Leisure Centre: a beautiful complex where you can spend the whole weekend. It has a bowling alley, an indoor pool, and even a cinema.
- Hampton Pool: a 36m open-air pool surrounded by grassy areas for running around and sunbathing.
Hit the parks
If you want to run away from the heat, grab the kids and head to London’s parks. The city has amazing green spaces in almost every neighbourhood. Hunt for the perfect picnic spot, or engage in a relaxing hike with your loved one. Here are some of our top picks:
- Hampstead Heath: a wonderful grassy park in northern London, where you can set up a picnic, let the kids wander around, and relax.
- Regent’s Park: packed with attractions and activities, this place is a must-see this summer. Make sure to stop by the Open Air Theatre and the ZSL London Zoo to wow the kids.
- Battersea Park: an astounding green space with amazing views over the Thames. They are a family-run zoo and an art gallery on site.
- Clapham Common: an oasis of peace and tranquillity with lots cafes, open-air concerts, and a skate area on site.
- Crystal Palace Park: a delightful park packed with massive dinosaur sculptures, and a beautiful lake in the middle surrounded by lush trees.
- Greenwich Park: a vast grassland and a sanctuary for foxes, deer and 70+ bird species. There’s a child-friendly boating lake, 6 tennis courts and a royal observatory if you want to engage in activities and keep the kids active all day long.
- Victoria Park: make sure to stop by the Pavilion Cafe after exploring the sights, and admiring the wildlife and exploring the lake.
Explore the city farms
London is famous for its city farms. If you’re hunting for fun things to do in London with kids, these rural settings will exceed all their expectations. Tots love animals, so why not take them someplace where they can actually play with them, and have the best time? Here are our top picks:
- Mudchute Park & Farm: one of the largest in London, this park turned into a beautiful farm is packed with animals. There’s also a duck pond that tots will love to have a closer look at.
- Hackney City Farm: hidden between Broadway Market and Columbia Road, this beautiful farm feels more like an active community; a place with lots of greenery, eateries, and restaurants where you can spend quality time with your loved ones.
- Surrey Docks Farm: a rural delight located minutes away from the famous Surrey Quays shopping centre. The kids will be delighted by the flourishing gardens, happy animals, and overall relaxing vibe of the place.
Indoor things to do in London in the summer holidays
Check out the chill indoor play centres
At some point in August, it might get too hot in London. Fortunately, there are lots of great indoor playground centre you can check out to keep the kids entertained. Did we mention the options are endless? Have a look at some of our top picks.
- Bramley’s Big Adventure: an ideal playground area for small tots. The giant 3-level play frame is a top favourite. Make sure you don’t miss it out. Others activities kids can try out: swings and dens, slides, ball pools, and more.
- Discovery Planet: packed with tunnels, coloured tubes, slides and ball ponds, this playground centre is a heaven for kids. Parents, at last, you can relax!
- Kidspace: watch out for the Orb; a giant towering wooden climbing frame that will leave tots speechless. Kidspace is huge; the labyrinth area is an activity you don’t want to miss out on.
- Kidzmania: a popular party venue with ball pools, slides, climbing frames, and a very cool bouncy castle. Parents that want to spend some alone time should definitely check out the cafe on site.
It’s museum time!
Museums are not just for adults. In London, some of the coolest are aimed at kids. Tots wants to be entertained, especially around the summer holiday when they have so much free time. Make it count, and head some of the city’s top museums for tots; most of them feature workshops, different fun activities, and storytelling sessions. We’ve selected some of the best.
- Horniman Museum: one of London’s coolest anthropological museums for tots. The Hands on Base workshop, Natural Base exploration journey, the beehive, and the aquarium will keep them busy for hours in a row.
- V&A Museum of Childhood: it might be frustrating to see all the toys and not be allowed to touch them. The good news is there are lots of activity stations for kids, including a sandpit, a lego area, a book corner, rocking horses, board game areas, and more.
- Science Museum: do you have a scientist in the making at home? Take them to a place he’ll love this summer. The games, interactive exhibits, experiments, and simulators will exceed his expectations.
Click here for more rainy day ideas in London with kids.
London in the summer has activities and things to do for everyone. Families with kids have nothing to worry about. We’ve laid out some of the best. Which are your favourite things to do in London in the summer holidays?